Close this search box.

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Licensing > State Board of Barber Examiners > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Roster search

I need to renew my license; how can I do that?
You can renew your license on line at or mail your renewal and the correct fee to our office. You may also visit our office during normal business hours. If you pay in cash, you must bring the exact change.
If your license has expired more than 60 days, you will be assessed a $25.00 penalty. If more than three (3) years, you will have to take the practical exam and pay $175.00

What is your mailing address?
State Board of Barber Examiners
900 West Capitol, Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201

Where are you located?

We are located in the Department of Labor and Licensing at 900 W Capitol, Suite 400, Little Rock, Arkansas.

I renewed my license online weeks ago, but have not received it yet. What should I do?

If you do not receive your license within 10 to 14 days, please contact us at or call 501-682-4035. If paying on line, please make any corrections of your address.

My license has expired. How long do I have to renew my license?

You may renew your license up to three (3) years after it expires. After that you will have to take the practical exam.

Remember, you may not work with an expired license. If you work with an expired license, you will receive a violation by the Barber Board.

Can a barber student work in my barber shop or someone with a license from another

No. Anyone working in a barber shop must be licensed by the State of Arkansas by their respective professional board. A student, either current or a graduate who has not taken board, may NOT work in your shop.

I lost my license, how do I obtain another one?

You can obtain a duplicate license by mailing a check or money order for $5 to our office along with a copy of your Driver’s License and a letter stating your license has been lost or destroyed.

How do I transfer my out-of-state license to Arkansas (reciprocity)?

Please see “Reciprocity” on the home page for an application.

I’m moving out of state. How do I transfer my license?

Please contact the state that you are moving to for that state’s requirements. Additionally, you will need to complete a Certification of Record form, which can be obtained by contacting our office. The fee is $50.00

I want to open up a new barber shop; what do I need to do?

Our shop application can be obtained by contacting us at

I already own a barber shop but I am moving to another location. What do I need to do?

To change the location or manager of your establishment, you will be required to fill out another application and pay the required fee.

I sold my barber shop to someone else. What do we need to do?

The new owner will need to complete a shop application and pay the required fee.

How do I file a complaint?

A complaint must be in written form either mailed or you can email the complaint to

  • Complaints need to be specific and detailed such as names, addresses, phone numbers, persons involved, pictures and specific details of the complaint.
  • Facebook photos without a specific complaint and details will not be investigated.
  • Depending on the severity of the complaint, the inspector will investigate when they are scheduled to be in that territory/town.

How do I obtain a copy of a complaint that was filed on me?

Under the FOIA you may request a copy of your complaint in writing.

Is a cosmetologist allowed to trim a customer’s mustache or beard?

Yes, a cosmetologist may trim a customer’s mustache or beard with scissors or trimmers. However, a cosmetologist may NOT shave a customer’s face or neck with a straight razor, disposable razor, or any other appliance without a barber’s license.

Cosmetologists may work alongside a barber provided they have a current practitioner’s license and a Cosmetology establishment license.

Can a cosmetology establishment display a Barber Pole or use the word barber?

Only if there is a currently licensed barber working there with a current barber shop license.

What are the requirements to open a New Barber School?

You can find the requirements in the statutes at

How do I apply for the practical and written examination?

A candidate must legibly and accurately submit a completed Application for Examination form, Certificate of Training Form (from the school) and the examination and license fee to the Barber Board in separate checks or money orders.

I have passed both the written and the practical exam, how do I get my license?

The Barber Board will mail your license to the address you provided at exam time within 7-10 days of receipt of your passing score of 75%.

What is the cost of the exam?

The examination is $75 and paid directly to the Barber Board and submitted along with your application for Exam. The license fee is $50 and must be paid in a separate check or money order. This license is valid until July 1 when it must be renewed.

Where do I take the exam?

The examination is held at a different barber school each session. You will be notified by the school you attended where and when you should be there.

The location and time is posted on the State of Arkansas public calendar located at

What happens if I do not show up to my examination?

Your application will be invalid, you will not be able to take the examination as scheduled, and you will be required to reapply for the next examination and pay an additional examination fee of $75.

Severe Weather: Donate to the Arkansas Disaster Relief Program