Examinations and Individual Licensing
All individuals working in the State of Arkansas must be licensed. The individual must be employed by a licensed company, submit a licensing application and pass an examination for each type system they wish to perform.
ALL EXAMINATIONS WILL BE TAKEN FROM THE FOLLOWING EDITIONS OF NFPA STANDARDS AND IS A TIMED EXAM
- Portable Fire Extinguisher NFPA 10 – 2010 Edition –– 2 hrs.
- Carbon Dioxide Extinguishing Systems (C02) NFPA 12 – 2011 Edition – 2 hrs.
- Dry Chemical Extinguishing Systems (Fixed) NFPA 17 ––– 2009 Edition
- Wet Chemical Extinguishing Systems (Fixed) NFPA 17A –– 2009 Edition
- Fixed System Exam consist of both Dry and Wet Chemical, the exam time covers both. –2 hrs.
- Clean Agent Fire Extinguishing Systems NFPA 2001 – 2012 Edition –2 hrs.
- Hydro Class “A” NFPA 10 –– 2010 Edition –2 hrs.
- Hydro Class “B” NFPA 10 – 2010 Edition & NFPA 17A – 2009 Edition –2 hrs.
- Sprinkler Inspector NFPA 13 ––2010 Edition and NFPA 25 ––2011 Edition ––3 hrs. NFPA 13 is an open book examination.
- Sprinkler Fitter – NFPA 20, NFPA 24, NFPA 25(2011 Edition) NFPA 13, NFPA13R & NFPA 14. –3 hrs.
- This entire examination is open book with a 3 hour limit.
- Responsible Managing Employee Sprinkler Rules and ACT 743––2 hrs.
ALL EXAMINATION CANDIDATES MUST TAKE AND PASS THE ARKANSAS RULES EXAM WITH A SCORE OF 80%. EXAM WILL BE TAKEN FROM ACT 743. THIS EXAM IS ALSO 2hrs.
- Applications should be received no later than one (1) week prior to testing date.
- Should the requested test date not be available testing will be arranged for the next test date or for the date mutually agreed on between the AFPLB and the applicant and/or employer.
- Individuals not able to test on the scheduled date must call the office as soon as possible to reschedule testing.
- Testing is scheduled for the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. Exceptions to the testing schedule will be Holidays and Board Meetings.
- Testing will begin at 8:00 AM and continue until 4:30 PM.
- Test results will be available on test date.
- Test applications must be completed for each test.
- Applications for a Class “A” Hydrostatic license must be accompanied by a copy of the current DOT approval letter with the individuals name & Company must accompany the application.
- A score of at least 80% is required in order to pass each examination, except for Sprinkler Fitter examination which requires passing score of 70%.
- To schedule an examination or obtain additional information please call 501-661-7903