Close this search box.



About Us
Board Meeting
Roster search
Continuing education
Board Info

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: With which states do we reciprocate?
Answer: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, N. Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.

Question: How much are the fees for auctioneers?
Answer: The fee is one-hundred ($100.00) dollars for auctioneer and auction houses. Reciprocal fees are based upon the amount charged by reciprocal state or the State of Arkansas whichever fee is the greater. Please contact this office at 501-682-1156 for correct fees. Examination fees are one-hundred ($100.00) dollars. Duplicate license and change of address fees cost five ($5.00) dollars.

Question: When does my license expire?
Answer: June 30th of each year after issuance. A one hundred twenty (120) day grace exists for payment of renewals. Penalty fee of double the renewal fee will apply if renewal is post-marked after October 31st each year.

Question: Do I need a bond?
Answer: No. An auctioneer recovery fund exists. Each auctioneer contributes one-hundred ($100.00) dollars at initial licensure and thereafter only upon request by the Board when the recovery fund falls below its minimum level as required by law.

Question: Do I need an escrow account? Can it collect interest?
Answer: Yes, you need an escrow account. It may be an interest or non-interest bearing account.

Question: Can I get a temporary permit or license for an auction?
Answer:  No. The Auctioneer Law does not provide for a temporary permit or license.

Question: Do you have to go to school to be an auctioneer?
Answer:  No. However, if you wish to attend a school please go to website for National Auctioneers Association at

Question: Does an auctioneer need continuing education courses?
Answer: Yes. An auctioneer must successfully complete six hours per year from an approved sponsor.

Question: Is there an exemption to continuing education courses?
Answer: Yes. The Auctioneer Law provides for an exemption to continuing education courses once you have attained the age of fifty-five (55) years AND have been licensed by the Arkansas Auctioneers Licensing Board for ten (10) consecutive years.

Question: Do I need an auctioneer license and a Real Estate License to sell real estate at auction?
Answer: By virtue of Act 677 of 2023, you only need a real estate license.  Please contact the Arkansas Real Estate Commission at 501-683-8010 for information on selling real estate or visit their website at

Question: Can I place my license on inactive status?
Answer: No. The Auctioneer Law does not provide for an inactive status.

Question: Can an auctioneer sell firearms at auction?
Answer: Please contact Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms at 501-324-6457 or visit their website at

Question: Do I need an auctioneer license to sell my own merchandise?
Answer: No. However, you cannot sell an item belonging to another person nor can you advertise as an auctioneer.

Question: Do I need to be licensed as an auctioneer and a used car dealer to sell cars at auction?
Answer: Yes. Please contact the Arkansas State Police at 501-618-8617 for information on a used car dealer license.

Question: Can an auctioneer sell liquor at auction?
Answer: Please contact the Alcohol Beverage Control Board at 501-682-1105 or visit their website at

Question: Can an auctioneer sell tobacco products at auction?
Answer: Please contact the Tobacco Control Board at 501-682-9756.

Question: What is the difference between an “Auction House” license and an “Auctioneer” license?
Answer: An auctioneer may accept consignments to sell at auction AND do his own bid calling at the auction. An auction house owner may accept consignments to sell at auction but he/she MAY NOT do the bid calling at auction. He/she must hire a licensed auctioneer to call the bids.

Question: Can I sell new motor vehicles at an auction.
Answer: REQUIREMENTS OF NEW MOTOR VEHICLE DEALERS -Any person engaged in business as, serving in the capacity of, or acting as a new motor vehicle dealer or a new motor vehicle salesperson, is required to be licensed by the Arkansas Motor Vehicle Commission. The Commission also licenses motor vehicle lessors, manufacturers, distributors, factory branches or divisions, distributor branches or divisions, factory representatives, distributor representatives, second-stage manufacturers, and converters. New motor vehicle dealers are under the jurisdiction of the Arkansas Motor Vehicle Commission, 900 West Capitol Avenue , Suite 400, Little Rock, AR 72201. If you have any questions please contact the Arkansas Motor Vehicle Commission at 501-682-1428.

Severe Weather: Donate to the Arkansas Disaster Relief Program